UPDATE: Natural gas smell reported at Rochester middle school

KIMT

John Adams Middle School in Rochester was evacuated due to an odor of natural gas.

Posted: Dec. 7, 2017 2:12 PM
Updated: Dec. 7, 2017 3:53 PM

Rochester, Minn. – KIMT has confirmed that John Adams Middle School in Rochester was evacuated Thursday due to an odor of natural gas.

Students were quickly allowed back into the school and classes were dismissed as scheduled.

The following message was distributed to parents of John Adams students:

“Dear JA Families,

Earlier today we sent communication notifying you that John Adams was evacuated briefly due to the odor of natural gas. District officials assisted with the evacuation and MN Energy and Rochester Fire Department (RFD) arrived quickly on the scene. RFD provided an all-clear and students returned to the building. This occurred near the end of the day, but student dismissal was on-time.
As a result of today’s evacuation, we are postponing this evening’s 7th and 8th grade band concert. We will keep you updated on a rescheduled date.

All of our students and staff are safe and we look forward to resuming our normal schedule tomorrow, Friday, December 8th.


Thank you for your patience,
Kim McDonald, Principal
John Adams Middle School”

Article Comments

Mason City
Broken Clouds
59° wxIcon
Hi: 73° Lo: 63°
Feels Like: 59°
Albert Lea
Clear
63° wxIcon
Hi: 64° Lo: 62°
Feels Like: 63°
Austin
Clear
63° wxIcon
Hi: 71° Lo: 62°
Feels Like: 63°
Charles City
Scattered Clouds
63° wxIcon
Hi: 72° Lo: 64°
Feels Like: 63°
Rochester
Scattered Clouds
63° wxIcon
Hi: 70° Lo: 61°
Feels Like: 63°
We're continuing to track more storms
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Opioid Crisis Response Act Passes Senate

Image

Measles in Minnesota

Image

Gonda Building Expansion Project

Image

College Students React to Murder

Image

Tour offered of new expansion at McAllister Hall

Image

Salvation Army Family Store reopens after weekend burglary

Image

Your StormTeam 3 Weather Forecast for Tuesday

Image

Disaster Response Meeting

Image

Eyota House Fire

Image

Collin Richards makes court appearance

Community Events