Fire at Rochester laundromat causes $10,000 in damage

Officials say dryer smoke set off sprinkler system.

Posted: Jan. 3, 2018 5:27 PM
Updated: Jan. 3, 2018 6:57 PM

ROCHESTER, Minn. – Firefighters responded to flames at Mega Coin Laundry on Wednesday afternoon.

Authorities say the fire began in a dryer and after the clothes were removed from the machine, the smoke set off the sprinkler system. 

Those with the Rochester Fire Department say they were able to shut down the sprinkler system after forcing entry on a door, but Mega Coin and two other businesses experienced an estimated $10,000 in water damage to floor and carpeting.

No one was injured, and officials say Mega Coin Laundry will be able to remain open.

Article Comments

Mason City
Broken Clouds
71° wxIcon
Hi: 82° Lo: 66°
Feels Like: 71°
Albert Lea
Clear
70° wxIcon
Hi: 82° Lo: 66°
Feels Like: 70°
Austin
Clear
70° wxIcon
Hi: 81° Lo: 66°
Feels Like: 70°
Charles City
Clear
70° wxIcon
Hi: 82° Lo: 67°
Feels Like: 70°
Rochester
Clear
69° wxIcon
Hi: 82° Lo: 65°
Feels Like: 69°
Soaking rains return on Monday.
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

New effort to bring more solar panels to Rochester homes

Image

Documentary celebrates Rochester community

Image

Oronoco Gold Rush Days

Image

KIMT StormTeam 3 Weather Forecast (8-19-2018)

Image

Dan Feehan serves at local soup kitchen

Image

4th Annual River Rats Car Show

Image

Chatfield breaks ground on new aquatic facility

Image

Smoke continues this weekend

Image

Twins donate signed jersey to Rochester family

Image

Scholarships for Women in Construction

Community Events