AMES, Iowa (AP) - Authorities in Iowa say one person has died and several others were hurt after dozens of vehicles collided along a snow-covered stretch of Interstate 35 near Ames.
Up to 70 cars, buses and trucks were involved in the string of crashes, which forced the closure of I-35 in both directions.
Story County Sheriff's Office Capt. Barry Thomas tells The Des Moines Register he couldn't see from one end of the wrecks to the other.
Thomas says one person was killed and from three to five people were injured. Authorities didn't release the names of those killed or hurt.
Previous story below
AMES, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say southbound lanes of Interstate 35 in Ames have closed after dozens of vehicles collided on the snow-covered freeway.
Transportation officials say up to 50 vehicles were involved in the crash Monday, caused in part by drivers trying to enter the freeway and crashing into existing accidents.
Iowa State Patrol Sgt. Nathan Ludwig told The Des Moines Register, "It's a mess. They're trying to get everyone to slow down."
Crashes also have at least briefly forced the closure of other roads in Iowa, including U.S. Highway near Grand Junction and Interstate 80 in Clive.
You can follow the latest road conditions here.
- UPDATE: Around 70 vehicles involved in chain-reaction crash on Interstate-35
- Chain reaction collision in Rochester
- UPDATE: Fourth driver identified in I-35 chain reaction accident
- UPDATE: Iowa State Patrol says over 70 vehicles involved in I-35 crash
- 1 injured in rollover accident on Interstate-35
- Two-vehicle crash involved Rochester police car
- Ride-a-long with Brandon Libby on Interstate-35
- UPDATE: Vehicles located after 3 involved in armed robbery
- UPDATE: Two-vehicle crash in Mason City
- UPDATE: Name released of person involved in Clear Lake vehicle vs. train crash