MERRILL, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say a young child has been killed in a crash in northwestern Iowa.
The Sioux City Journal reports that 6-year-old Ayaan Ibrahn died in the Monday night crash at the intersection of Highway 75 and a city street in Merrill.
The Iowa State Patrol says the child was in a southbound sport utility vehicle driven by 38-year-old Mohamed Abdullahi-Mohamud, of Sioux City, when it went onto the highway shoulder, overcorrected and went into the northbound lanes, hitting a pickup truck nearly head-on.
Authorities say Abdullahi-Mohamud suffered life-threatening injuries. A 34-year-old person and a baby in the SUV suffered injuries not believed to be life-threatening. The 33-year-old driver of the pickup also suffered serious injuries.
The crash remains under investigation.
- Child killed in crash in northwestern Iowa
- Officials: 10-year-old girl killed in northwestern Iowa fire
- Milford man dies in snowmobile crash in northwestern Iowa
- Minnesota man killed in southern Iowa crash
- Spring Valley teen killed in Iowa crash
- Iowa woman charged in crash that killed husband
- Police: 2 killed in Iowa crash after car stolen
- Omaha man killed in motorcycle crash in western Iowa
- Name released of Iowa motorcyclist killed in Fillmore County crash
- 1 killed during weekend crash in northern Iowa