Spring Grove 32, Nevis 0
Caledonia 57, Pipestone 6
MSHSL press release:
Spring Grove completed an historic season with a 32-0 victory over Nevis in the Nine-Man championship game on Friday, Nov. 24 at U.S. Bank Stadium. The victory completed an undefeated season for the Lions (14-0) and gave the southeastern Minnesota school its first football state championship in three state tournament trips.
Senior Cullen Patterson rushed for 124 yards on 17 carries to pace a Lions attack that averaged 6.6 yards per carry. Junior quarterback Alex Folz contributed 112 yards in 18 carries. He also completed 16 of 22 passes for 196 yards and three touchdowns.
Spring Grove built a 26-0 halftime advantage behind four touchdowns from Folz. He ran for a 15-yarder in the first quarter and then later threw three touchdown passes, each to different receivers. The Lions made it a four-touchdown advantage when Folz hit junior wide receiver Noah Elton on a swing pass to the left side. Elton maneuvered through defenders and just got the ball inside the end zone pylon.
Folz completed 14 of 17 passes in the first half for 151 yards. He also rushed for 68 yards on 10 carries as the Lions generated 286 total yards in the first half.
Nevis (11-2), making its first Prep Bowl championship game appearance, had 124 yards of total offense in the first half.
Senior quarterback Jack DeWulf led the way with 65 yards on 11 carries. He also had a 44-yard pass completion. He finished with 110 yards rushing and 76 passing.
During Spring Grove’s three state tournament games, Folz accounted for 12 touchdowns.
- Championship Friday, Spring Grove and Caledonia win state titles
- State Champs! GHV duo wins co-ed golf title
- Officer identified in Maple Grove shooting
- Clear Lake's Faught eyes state title
- Champions! Crestwood cruises to 3A state title
- A+ SEASON: Lyle-Pacelli A's win first girls state basketball championship
- IA HS State Wrestling- Friday
- MN HS State Wrestling - Friday
- IA HS State Track - Friday
- IA HS State Golf - Friday