MASON CITY, Iowa - Mason City's Zach Hendrickson has always been a baseball player. He tells stories of playing whiffle ball with his dad in the backyard.
Hendrickson was the ace of Mason City's pitching staff and the Mohawks are making a return to the state tournament this week.
However, his journey in high school hasn't been easy. His father, John, passed away during the summer between his junior and senior year.
There are times when he can still hear his dad yelling from the stands this season.
Click on the video tab for Hendrickson's high school story that will end at the state baseball tournament.
- Best of 2017: A little pitching help from above
- Worldwide success on the pitch at Waldorf
- Residents pitch ideas for old train depot
- Chappaquiddick (2017) vs. The Post (2017)
- 2017 holiday shipping deadlines
- 2017 Year in Review
- Residents of Fertile offering to pitch in to help woman after loss of house due to fire
- The Avengers (2012) vs. Justice League (2017)
- Austin Area Foundation announces grants for 2017
- A look back at Minnesota in 2017