Scroll for more content...
Harry Joseph Cookman says the attack on December 7th in 1941 greatly impacted his life. While he was just a teenager at the time of the attack, it led him to eventually serve in the army during world war two, spending time in Japan and the Philippines. Looking back on this day, he remembers it as being a quiet one in his home.
“Well we didn't swear much then but my reaction was probably just disbelief,” Cookman said.
The IOOF home in Mason City where Cookman and his wife live held a Pearl Harbor remembrance ceremony for them and others.
- Area residents remember Pearl Harbor
- Franklin Co. Sheriff being remembered by residents
- Charles City residents remember F-5 tornado 50 years later
- Remembering Samantha Teeter
- Remembering Dean Snyder
- Safe Harbor program evaluation of helping sex trafficking victims
- Remembering Vance Baird, a NIACC legend
- Sheriff: 1 charged for harboring father whose 2-year-old daughter found in NE Iowa
- Thanksgiving plans for local residents
- Tamiflu side effects concern residents