AUSTIN, Minn. - A man accused of kidnapping a woman is pleading guilty to lesser charges.
Joseph Henry Mallan, 34 of Austin, was arrested in April after Austin police said he abducted a woman and held her captive during a car chase that hit speeds of up to 80 miles an hour.
On Friday, Mallan entered guilty pleas to charges of domestic assault and escape from custody. Counts of kidnapping, false imprisonment and fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle were dismissed.
Authorities say Mallan abducted a woman on April 13 after removing the electronic home monitoring bracelet he was wearing due to a previous conviction. Mallan was arrested on April 15, after being released from Mayo Clinic Health System in Austin, where police said he went for treatment for a drug overdose.
Mallan's sentencing is scheduled for January 4, 2019.
- Accused kidnapper pleads guilty in Mower County
- Mower County man pleads guilty to Olmsted County chase
- One brother pleads not guilty to Mower County burglary
- Accused stabber pleads guilty
- Accused strangler pleads not guilty
- Accused drug dealers plead guilty
- Accused heroin dealer pleads guilty
- Accused car thief pleads guilty
- Mower County fugitive sentenced
- Mower County man pleads not guilty to kidnapping and sexual assault