CERRO GORDO COUNTY, Iowa – A man has been arrested after a collision involving a pickup truck and a bicycle.
The Cerro Gordo County Sheriff’s Office says Abby Rodriguez, 34 of Sante Fe, New Mexico, was riding her bicycle south on Balsam Avenue when she was hit from behind by the truck driven by Joseph McLaughlin, 65 of Belmond. The Sheriff’s Office says McLaughlin left the scene and his truck was located in Franklin County by the Iowa State Patrol.
Rodriguez was taken to Mercy Medical Center – North Iowa by Garner Ambulance. The Sheriff’s Office says she was wearing a bike helmet when she was hit.
McLaughlin has been charged with leaving the scene of a personal injury accident and having an open container.
This incident happened around 12:21 pm Friday near the intersection of Balsam Avenue and 170th Street. It remains under investigation.
- Bicyclist injured in hit-and-run collision
- Bicyclist hit by truck in Mason City
- Mower County woman injured in Winona County collision
- Collision in Charles City
- Two-vehicle collision in Byron
- Two-vehicle collision near Byron
- Multi-vehicle collision in Rochester
- Chain reaction collision in Rochester
- Bicyclist injuries and fatalities down statewide, but awareness still needed
- UPDATE: 1 injured in collision involving a train and truck in Freeborn County