MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Prosecutors in Minneapolis have filed child neglect charges against the mother of mentally disabled twin daughters who were allegedly raped, beaten and held captive by their father for years.
Police are still trying to find the 48-year-old mother, who was charged Thursday with three child neglect counts.
The 51-year-old father was charged Tuesday with several felonies in a case that authorities have described as torture. He allegedly fathered two children with one twin.
Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman told reporters Thursday the case is as horrifying as anything he's seen as the county's top prosecutor.
The alleged abuse continued until last May, when one twin escaped and alerted authorities.
The Associated Press is not naming the parents to avoid identifying the daughters, who are now in their early 20s.
- Minnesota mother charged in torture of twin daughters
- Charges filed in deaths of Minnesota mother, daughter killed by rock
- Pediatric patients at Mayo get iPads, visit from Minnesota Twins
- Kidnapping charge in Twin Cities standoff
- Mother, daughter killed by boulder that fell off truck in Minnesota
- Parents of 13 children charged with years of torture, abuse
- Central Minnesota man charged with killing granparents
- Charges filed in Minnesota City Council brawl
- Sink hole shuts down Twin Cities highway
- Woman accused Twins player of misconduct