CLEAR LAKE, Iowa – A former school custodian, David Bemis, is facing four counts of invasion of privacy after Clear Lake police say a camera was found to be placed inside a faculty bathroom in May of 2013.
Clear Lake says it became aware of possible invasions of privacy in January of 2018 and contacted police to investigate. The allegation was that a video recording device had been placed in the restroom by a school employee.
Clear Lake superintendent Doug Gee said Bemis no longer works for the district and was employed with Clear Lake for more than 10 years.
Investigators recovered a small amount of video of the inside of the restroom at Clear Creek Elementary School. Police say it showed four school employees, who have been notified. Police say there is no evidence any student was video recorded or involved in this incident in any way.
Authorities say the camera was up for a "short period of time."
Still, the entire ordeal has been difficult on community members.
"It's frightening for every parent in America," Pam Larson said.
Larson said being aware of your surroundings is key in a situation like this.
"Check regularly for things like that," Larson said. "I don't know how long the camera was there and what was found, but we have to watch out for our kids better."
Gee said the school took immediate steps to make sure all their buildings were safe upon finding out of the incident.
"We immediately checked all of the bathrooms," Gee said. "Even though we thought it was an isolated incident, we still checked all of them."
- Arrest made after bathroom video surfaced at Clear Lake school
- NEW DETAILS: Video from hidden camera in Clear Lake schools bathroom found at suspect's home
- Arrest made in connection to string of Clear Lake burglaries
- A special bathroom renovation is what the Dr. ordered for Clear Lake family
- SAW: Clear Lake's Gretchen Jones
- Clear Lake officially ice free
- Unreleased Amy Winehouse demo surfaces
- Man charged with school bathroom video recording pleads not guilty
- Man facing felony drug charges after arrest in Clear Lake
- Former Clear Lake student-athlete sues the school district