ROCHESTER, Iowa (AP) - Authorities say officers have arrested a man after an exchange of gunfire in eastern Iowa's Cedar County.
The Iowa Department of Public Safety says state troopers and local officers responded to a 911 call around 2:20 p.m. Thursday about gunshots at an Interstate 80 rest area. The shooter left the rest area, drove west, exited the interstate about 2 miles south of Rochester and fired at motorists at a gas station. None was hit.
Troopers and local officers encountered the suspect on a nearby rural road and exchanged shots with him. They arrested the man after a brief standoff.
The department identified him as 60-year-old Charles Johnston. He's been charged with attempted murder and armed assault on a peace officer. Court records don't list an attorney for him
- Man arrested after gunfire in eastern Iowa
- Mistrial in eastern Iowa murder
- Police say man arrested after exchange of gunfire
- Eastern Iowa homeless shelter is "overwhelmed"
- Deadly Christmas Day fire in eastern Iowa
- Body found in frozen eastern Iowa lake
- School bus crash in eastern Iowa
- Fundraising in eastern Iowa for "inclusive" playground
- Boy rescued from eastern Iowa pool
- Eastern Iowa man charged with attempted murder in stabbing