Forest City, Iowa – Orin Harris, who was fired Monday morning by KIOW radio in Forest City after insensitive comments directed toward Hispanic players for the Eagle Grove basketball team, said “he feels absolutely terrible.”
Speaking to KIMT on Monday morning, Harris, one of two people fired for comments that were broadcast on the Forest City school website, said his comments in the roughly 90-second clip don’t reflect who he is.
“I’m sorry. I’ve disappointed all my family and friends,” said Harris, who worked at the radio station for more than 40 years.
The comments happened between Harris and a board operator prior to a basketball game Nov. 28. The comments were sent out via The Cube, an internet-streaming program many local high schools use. The video routinely uses audio from KIOW during games.
The board operator, Holly Jane Kusserow-Smidt, was also fired. According to Forest City schools, Kusserow-Smidt has been placed on administrative leave by the Forest City School District, where she is a teacher.
“As (President Donald) Trump would say, go back where they came from,” Harris is heard saying.
Click on the video tab to see the full interview with Harris.
Two fired for insensitive comments prior to Eagle Grove and Forest City basketball game Nov. 28.
Eagle Grove superintendent says diversisty has saved the community.
- 1 of 2 fired at KIOW says ' I’ve disappointed all my family and friends'
- From overseas, Greene soldier has message for family, friends
- Are you a 'Friend of the Festival?"
- Poppe named 'Friend of County Fairs'
- Getting a new heart and a new friend
- Fundraiser at Rochester JM for family recovering from fire
- Families get 'snow crazy'
- GYB Family Fair
- Police: Rochester man robbed while helping friend move at 2 a.m.