DAKOTA CITY, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say a 20-year-old northern Iowa man was fatally shot by a Department of Natural Resources officer after brandishing a gun.
The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation says Shane Allen Jensen, of Humboldt, Iowa, was shot on Saturday in Dakota City, Iowa.
Authorities say Jensen was shot around 2:30 p.m. after he fired a 9 mm handgun into the air and then pointed the weapon at the DNR officer. Officers were responding to a call of a person hiding under the deck of a home.
Authorities say family members and law enforcement had been looking for Jensen after he expressed thoughts about dying in an officer-involved shooting and stealing a motor vehicle.
An investigation is ongoing and the results will be forwarded to the Humboldt County attorney's office for review.
- Iowa man identified after being fatally shot by officer after brandishing gun
- Officers identified in fatal shooting of teenager
- UPDATE: Man identified in fatal crash
- Boy, 17, arrested for allegedly brandishing toy gun at Byron High School
- Police say Iowa business owner fatally shot burglar
- Family of fatally shot teen urges more gun safety education
- Pilot identified in southern Iowa plane crash
- Trial set in fatal northeast Iowa shooting
- Robbery suspect shot dead in central Iowa
- 2 men arrested at gun point after shots fired in NE Iowa