Scroll for more content...
The Rock Valley Police Department said in a news release Friday that 19-year-old Santos Rodriguez Jr. is charged with first-degree murder and arson in the slaying of Luis Luevanos. The older man's body was found Oct. 29 after firefighters extinguished the blaze at the home he shared with Rodriguez. Investigators have since learned that Luevanos had been stabbed several times.
Police say Rodriguez left for Utah after the fire and was taken into custody there. Iowa investigators went to Utah to interview him, and police say Rodriguez admitted stabbing his grandfather and setting the fire.
Court records don't list an attorney who could comment for Rodriguez, who remains for now in Utah.
- Authorities arrest grandson in slaying of 84-year-old Iowa man
- Roommate charged in southeast Iowa slaying
- Man convicted of manslaughter in eastern Iowa slaying
- Police: Rochester woman out $36K after false claim involving grandson
- Authorities say state worker arrested at Iowa Capitol
- Authorities say Iowa man dies after being pinned by machine
- Man gets 37 years for slaying of Cedar Rapids woman
- Authorities investigate suspicious death of Iowa hunter
- Man arrested after gunfire in eastern Iowa
- Iowa man arrested on a cockfighting charge