DAVENPORT, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say two more children have died as a result of the Dec. 21 fire at a Davenport mobile home park.
Davenport interim fire marshal Jim Morris said in a news release Wednesday that 9-month-old Isabella Smead and 4-year-old Skylar Smead "succumbed to injuries sustained in the fire" at the Five Seasons park. They had been taken to an Iowa City hospital for treatment.
Authorities already had reported the fire deaths of the children's mother, 23-year-old Kelsey Clain, and two other children, Jayden Smead, who was 5, and 2-year-old Carson Smead.
Officials say there were no working smoke detectors in the home. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
- 2 more children die, raising Iowa mobile home fire toll to 5
- Mattress fire in Rochester mobile home
- Mobile home fire in Clear Lake
- Report says tolls an option to rebuild I-80 in Iowa
- Officials: Iowa flu death toll triple what it was last year
- Two die of West Nile in Iowa, public health talks prevention
- 2 in Iowa charged after around 700 living and dead animals found in home with children
- Man no longer facing charges over damaged mobile home
- Iowa faces foster care home shortage
- Iowa superintendent opens home to teenage immigrant